Monday 23 May 2011

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (04/05/09) [Archive]


X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

Director - Gavin Hood
Starring - Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber & Ryan Reynolds

3 stars

Before I begin I would like to point out the fact that I'm no action freak and although I can watch and enjoy and action flick, it isn't my ideal cup of tea and would have to be an absoloute pearler to get a high mark from me (Sin City esq.)
So in the context, 3 stars is a decent effort for this Box Office Blockbuster. I actually enjoyed it, and in one word I would have to describe 'Wolverine' as "cool". It was a "cool" movie. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing overly memorable but pretty easy to sit through and enjoy.


Our boy Hugh was great. There's not much he can't do and he always seems to manage to bring Logan/Wolverine to life in the X-Men films. The biggest talking point of late is how tanked up he is now and although I don't want to dwell on such a moot point I would like to emphasise this fact. The man is ripped. Seriously, if you accidently bumped into him you would be sure to bruise up pretty severely.


Ryan Reynolds also plays a nice little cameo role. He doesn't steal the show by any means but the fact that I like him is enough reason for me to give him a mention in my review.


In short, some people will walk out of this film touching themselves and claiming that this is one of the greatest movies ever made. It's a sad truth I know, but the fact is the effects and action will very much appeal to people who love this genre, and that is understandable. Personally, I enjoyed it but would not rush to see it again. Take out Jackman and it loses a star. Take out Reynolds and there goes another half star. Obviously the X-Men team had the cash to make everything work but it was based on a pretty 'meh' storyline.


Doesn't make it a bad movie and it is easy to watch and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment