Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Dark Knight (16/07/08) [Archive]


The Dark Knight (2008)

Director - Christopher Nolan
Starring - Christian Bale, Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart

4.5 stars

This was a pearler. In all honesty, I’ve never been a huge batman fan and wasn't overly excited to see this one but I'm glad I did. The two and a half hours was very bearable and although the plot wasn't terribly unpredictable, it certainly did the job. The greatest aspect of 'The Dark Knight' is the brilliant atmosphere created by director Christopher Nolan. I reckon the viewing was enhanced by the fact that I was in a cinema and watching at home on TV would lose a bit of feeling. It was genuinely possible to get emotionally involved to the extent where you aren't aware that you are watching a movie. Gratifyingly lost in the moment.


Now for the part that everyone wants to hear, Heath Ledger. I'm not one to piss in anyone's pocket and although I was shattered to hear about his untimely death, that doesn't change the way I thought about his role in this movie. To describe it in a word - Incredible. He was simply incredible as the main antagonist of the film, the Joker. So believable was he that I failed to even recognise Ledger in the role. When I say that, I don't mean his appearance I mean the persona. He simply became the Joker and it was comfortably one of the greatest acting performances I have ever seen. Ledger will win all kinds of awards because of this performance and dead or alive, he deserves all the kudos he receives.


Although Heath Ledger does steal the show Christian Bale was also very impressive as Batman.


It was obvious that a lot of time and effort was put into the overall production because everything flowed well, functioned effectively and just seemed very clean and proper.


It’s a great flick guys, treat yourself to a beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment