Wednesday 18 May 2011

Seven Pounds (08/01/09) [Archive]


Seven Pounds (2008)

Director - Gabriele Muccino
Starring - Will Smith & Rosario Dawson

4 stars

I don't intend on giving much away because the beauty of this film is it's confusion and mystery. I can understand why people have been disappointed in it and to some extent I was as well. For me, 'Seven Pounds' was a movie that I read about months ago and was immediately intrigued. After watching the trailer I was completely hooked and went into the cinema full of excitement and anticipation. The thing is, there is a large amount of this film where you think, "hmm, that's all well and good but where is this going?” Where Seven Pounds can lose its audience is when they get lost and fail to persist with it. For me, I was just so intrigued that I maintained interest.


Will Smith plays Ben Thomas. A very interesting character and someone that is really difficult to understand. You never know what he is going to do, what his intentions are and why he is acting the way he does. That's the mystery of it. The movie revolves around him and is founded on his intentions to drastically change the lives of seven strangers. Why he does this remains unclear until the emotionally gripping ending as the mystery begins to unravel.


What I loved about it was the deep, emotional and raw scenes that where forever poignant throughout. A man of steel would be somewhat touched by these moments and it's definitely a bit of a tearjerker.


Anybody who has a desire to watch this most certainly should satisfy that need. I have little doubt that it will be one of those films that most people will have watched and the consensus over it will be split evenly between 'hated it' and 'loved it'. Either way everyone should see it at some stage and hopefully you will be the one that it really speaks to!

No comments:

Post a Comment