Monday 23 May 2011

Drag Me To Hell (26/07/09) [Archive]


Drag Me To Hell (2009)

Director - Sam Raimi
Starring - Alison Lohman & Justin Long

1.5 stars

Not great. 'Drag Me To Hell' really didn't get the mix right. It tried desperately hard to combine horror and thriller elements with a bit of comedy and that really didn't work. It's very hard to be kept on the edge and then being forced to laugh. It's emotionally confusing - not something you want to feel when going to the cinemas.


I've also got a big problem with films that are founded on a curse or a hex or even a gypsy in general. There's too much of a grey area involved and in this case it seemed that no matter what Christine did she was always screwed. It's the beauty of film making in the fact that there are no rules you have to follow but with that said it makes it twice as hard for the audience to follow.


Alison Lohman starred as Christine Brown, a loan advisor with a bank who has desires to become assistant manager - a role that has been recently vacated. In an attempt to appear firm, she turned down a loan extension for an eldery woman who, understandably pissed-off, put a curse on Christine that would see her 'dragged to hell', for lack of a better term, within 72 hrs.


I've never seen anything (to my knowledge) with Lohman in and I don't think I will again. She really wasn't up to scratch and was very hard to believe. Justin Long starred as her boyfriend and although he was good, he is at a stage now where you know what you get with him.


I've heard good things about this film but I'm not really sure why. For me it is simply another cheap, crappy horror film that I would definitely wait for it to come out on TV and I'd only watch it if nothing else was on.

No comments:

Post a Comment