Monday 23 May 2011

Mao's Last Dancer (12/01/10) [Archive]


Mao's Last Dancer (2009)

Director - Bruce Beresford
Starring - Chi Cao & Bruce Greenwood

3.5 stars

I was (sadly) always going to have my critical hat on during the screening of this because I just loved the book so damn much. Never before have I been so encapsulated with 500 pages of the written word until I read Li Cunxin's autobiography, Mao's Last Dancer. I could not put it down.

Director Bruce Beresford had the unenviable task of adapting this 500-page life story spanning over 40 years, into a 2-hour feature film. It was never going to be a simple job, but he was aided with a greatest tool imaginable - a truly inspiring, emotionally gripping story, and as long he stayed true to that, he was never going to upset me.

So that's what went down for me. I applaud Beresford for his bleeding accuracy, flawless casting and finely tuned ability to capture the emotion at the correct times. He has done a wonderful effort but for me, the main issues with it were the things he left out. I know it's a cruel accusation because he still made a 2 hour and 7 minute film (any longer would have no doubt ensured this story would never have been made for the screen) but loving Cunxin's tale so much it has left me somewhat dissatisfied. Before I begin to nit-pick, I want to ensure that I have no condemnation for Bruce Beresford's work and have a lot of respect for the job he has done. But...

To truly understand the greatness of Li's story you have to appreciate what he went through back in his childhood and teenage years in Qingdao and Beijing. These years were skimmed over quickly (especially his childhood in the Chinese Province) but for me really set up what he is all about. The Chinese culture as a rule fascinates me. Understanding what Li and his family had to go through to make ends meet is quite unimaginable and it really does help to understand the man he becomes. The film, failing to acknowledge most of this, forces the audience to assume it.

A lot of the narrative does feel a bit rushed but still works. As I mentioned, it's a brilliant story - whether it be book, movie, radio or your grandma telling it to you - that can be enjoyed and appreciated in any medium.

The dancing scenes are quite fantastic. A lot of work went into the casting to find dancers who are competent enough to play the roles appropriately and hats off to everyone involved for making this so.

If you haven't read the book you are sure to enjoy this regardless. It's a story that has to be told and stories that must be told need to be heard. So take the time out to...just... listen... Take it in... and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment