Tuesday 17 May 2011

Slumdog Millionaire (22/12/08) [Archive]



Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Director - Danny Boyle
Starring - Dev Patel, Freida Pinto

5 stars

Writing a review for this film is somewhat a daunting prospect. I can't see how my words will be able to do justice to what is an absoloutly spectacular movie. It is gaining more and more publicity by the day with numerous reviewers giving it top marks and I couldn't agree with them more, giving it the full five stars.


For those unaware, it's based in India (even though it is in English with a bit of Hindi - subtitles provided) and follows the story of a poverty stricken teenager, Jamal Malik (Dev Patel). Jamal goes on 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' and surprises everyone by making it to the final question to play for 20 million rupees. As the show closes for the night Jamal is taken in by the police and interrogated by the cops to find out how he could possibly know the answers to all the questions. As Jamal backtracks to tell the story of his life, it becomes apparent that his experiences hold the key to each of the show's questions. We learn of a devastatingly tough lifestyle as Jamal, along with his brother Salim and lost love Latika, braves the dangers of the cruel slumdog environment.


That's merely the movie in a nutshell and I’ll choose not to elaborate because I can't give away anymore. All I want to say this that I'm not one to give away five stars willy-nilly but I really believe that director Danny Boyle has created a masterpiece here. It's a story of heartache and follows the harsh realities of life in the slum's of Mumbai. It's about love and freedom but most of all, 'Slumdog Millionaire' is a tale of hope and destiny. Sometimes, things are just meant to happen for those who believe.


I couldn't be happier with this movie. It's a hidden wonder and hopefully in time it will be a popular blockbuster. I strongly believe that 'Slumdog Millionaire' will be one of those films that everyone has to watch it some stage in their life and I know it will be something that will sit in my essential DVD collection forever. It's a true blockbuster, fundamental viewing, and a real treat for everyone to enjoy.


I'm not sure what else to say? As I said, the thought of reviewing this monster was intimidating. I just hope that you can get some sort of a grasp of my love for it and go experience the masterpiece for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment