Wednesday 15 June 2011

Sucker Punch (13/05/11) [Archive]


Sucker Punch (2011)

Director - Zack Snyder
Starring - Emily Browning, Abbie Cornish & Vanessa Hudgens

3.5 stars


I don’t think you can watch Sucker Punch once and walk out of it understanding everything about it in its entirety. It’s actually been a couple of weeks now since I’ve seen it and I’m still scratching my head a little bit. I don’t mind that. I don’t like it when you don’t understand the film’s ending or you get lost half way through and as a result it turns out to be a complete fizzer. I understood Sucker Punch (or so I think). I at least understood it the way director Zack Snyder wanted me to. I could follow the story line well enough to enjoy the narrative but there are elements to this carnival that I’m still wrapping my head around.

One thing I was completely sure about was the aesthetic brilliance of the whole thing. To put good use to a cop out word, it really was visually awesome. Probably the best thing I’ve seen since Avatar in terms of the visuals. It was wonderfully shot and edited, the scenery was top notch (albeit very much manufactured) and cinematography was quite marvellous. To go with all that the music was also of kick ass standard and did a brilliant job to coincide with the whole feel of the narrative.


The actual plot is not so important. In short, Baby Doll (Emily Browning) has been institutionalised by her abusive stepfather and devises a plan to escape from the mental facility. She devises a plan and manages to progress through it by going into an almost hallucinate-ive state and passing certain challenges in these completely other worlds. This is where the fun with the visuals comes into play. Along for the ride is a group of girls who want the same thing; Sweet Pea (Abbie Cornish), Rocket (Jena Malone), Blondie (Vanessa Hudgens) and Amber (Jamie Chung).


Although this sort of action type stuff isn’t normally my cup of tea, I still did like it. Although it’s impossible not to describe it as ‘cool’ and ‘awesome’, it still got the mind ticking. I think the biggest question you ask yourself is, ‘what’s actually real in all this’. It’s not a bad question to be burdened with on exit and there are certainly worse films going around. If not just for the visual entertainment of it I’d recommend you go see it. If that doesn’t interest you, then how about going to see some bad ass chicks with guns who play by their own rules? Winner, winner. If THAT doesn’t sway you, then I don’t know why you’ve read this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment