Wednesday 1 June 2011

Predators (14/07/10) [Archive]


Predators (2010)

Director - Nimrod Antel
Starring - Adrien Brody, Laurence Fishburne & Topher Grace

2 stars

I think it’s important to have movies like Predators hitting the big screen. Every now and then it’s nice to go out one night, switch off the brain and witness a big kill-fest on screen. Predators was one of those films that I went into without any expectations. It’s probably a good thing I did.


Every time I review an action flick I make mention of the fact that it’s not my favourite genre so take my opinion with a grain of a salt, and even though this is still the case, I really can’t see many people raving about this one. It did follow the cliché action guideline so it is quite easy to figure out what is going on and it does stay true to its form and genre. It doesn’t pretend to be anything it’s not, so I guess that can be a positive.


I always reckon it’s hard to keep audiences entertained with a narrative that revolves around people in an environment where you know they won’t have long to live. This was made harder in Predators because the characters never really had a goal or a target to reach. Early on I was somewhat intrigued as all the characters were introduced and I was excited to see where they would go and how they would get out of this. Before too long I discovered that they didn’t really have much of a plan and the majority of the story revolved around them walking around aimlessly, trying not to be killed. Movies like this can often be redeemed by a just, relevant and explanatory ending. This didn’t even slightly tick one of these boxes. In fact, the ending was so horrible that to me it honestly seemed like they had decided to make an action film about a bunch of killers, put them on a planet with a bunch of killer aliens and see what happens. Once they did all this they then thought, ‘shit, we have to end this somehow’ and the whole wrap up really did seem like an afterthought. I think they may have attempted a twist at some point but I wasn’t sure? If they did, it sucked. It didn’t explain anything and if anything had me asking further questions about the narratives plausibility.


Casting Topher Grace as the doctor and one of the main men was a bad move. Not because Grace did an ordinary job, but the bloke is so typecast now. Instead of seeing the doctor amongst killers, all I could see was Eric Foreman from That 70’s Show in the wrong environment and decade. Although I reckon he is capable of playing other roles, they do have to be similar to the one that brought him all the fame (eg. I thought he was good in Valentine’s Day).


I gave it two stars because I didn’t hate it. Some decent actions scenes, a few good kills and the leads, Adrien Brody and Alice Braga, were pretty likeable. Brody, who played main man Royce, especially was enjoyable. Just your typical action hero with the ripped body (that was witnessed thanks to a pretty unnecessary top’s off fight scene), cliché action one-liners and always in control.


There’s no way I’d rush back to see this and no way I’d bother watching it on the TV. It is definitely a big screen watch and regardless of all the negatives I found with it, it is still one of those movies that you can watch on your night off and just switch off and enjoy (well try to) the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment